What are the kite conditions in Kalpitiya? Good for everybody no matter the skills or the preferences for kiting. Each kite-surfer will find his happiness.
- Level of kiting: beginner + intermediate + independent + advanced;
- Spot type: flat to choppy water on the lagoon & small to medium waves in the open ocean;
- Discipline: free-ride; freestyle; foil;
- Launch zone: sandy beach
When is the best time to go kite in Kalpitiya? We identify two kite seasons in Sri Lanka:
- high season in summer (from May to October) during the south-west monsoon;
- low season in winter (from mid December to mid February) during the north-east monsoon.
Note! about the dream vacation…
The water is more of blue-green-grey colors of the rainbow. It is not as clear and turquoise dream blue that people are expecting from tropical destinations with palm trees on the beach.
Still, the beach is beautiful and the exotic spirit is everywhere.
What dangers to expect? Be aware of the falling coconuts.
The hazards of the lagoon in Kalpitiya are those spiky seashells that can seriously hurt if you step on one (said out of experience).
Also, somewhere in the center of the lagoon, a gusty corridor of wind can surprise a less skilled kite-surfer while free-riding or preparing a trick.
We have more information available:
Do you plan a kite trip to Kalpitiya Sri Lanka? One big decision is the place to stay: resort, hotel, villa. Here is a list of recommendations from our experience...