Some general information and pieces of advice about this destination: budget-wise… if you are looking for a cheap exotic vacation destination. As it is easy to reach by car from Europe, the road is good. Gokceada Island in Turkey is the best choice to be on a budget for a couple or a family.
Do you consider visiting Turkey? This is what you need to know to plan your trip: weather, visa and passport requirements, flights, cash, transport, accommodation, drone-regulation, …
... as Conclusion!
- All drone pilots who wish to fly a drone weighing more than 500 grams must register with the Turkish government prior to flying.
- Drones cannot weigh more than 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds) for private/personal flights.
- Approval is required prior to all commercial drone flights.
- Drones cannot fly above 120 meters (394 feet).
What should you be aware of?
Not To Do NOTE! about local customs
Turkish people have traditional culture. Today they accepted the west-European influence of a more liberate behavior in public. Holding hands and discreet kisses are allowed in the street.
But! If you visit a highly religious place (like a mosque or ancient site), or you are to a more remote place (like a small city or lost village), please restrain yourself from showing intimacy in public.
Also, clothes should be covering your knees and shoulders.
West-cost meteorological conditions:
- Climate: Mediterranean
- Temperatures of the air: hot summer min 20°C – max 35°C, wet fresh winter min 5°C – max 15°C
- Temperatures of the water: June to September 22°C – 24°C; December to March ~15°C the coolest;
- Seasons: spring – summer – autumn – winter are soft.
When to go discover the country? Summer is high season and it is also warmer. Yet our adventures bring us to Turkey all year long. The weather is always good only the flow of people is less intense in spring and autumn.
We are kite-adventurers we go on a forecast and the crowd is there. When we go off-season we discover such a peaceful and warm-welcoming place. We enjoy some delicious food and the company of good friends.
Are you curious about visiting Turkey? Here is some helpful information and advises:
- Visa: is not needed for European citizens (INFO HERE) if you stay less than 90 days.
- Passport should be valid a minimum of 6 months on the date of arrival at the Turkish border.
- What is the best time to visit Turkey? If it is only for tourism consider how crowded you like it to be. For kite (just check our Stories-section) to be aware of the season.
- Cheap flights to Istanbul, Izmir or Canakkale: follow the offers at Turkish Airlines; Air France, Tarom or Pegasus. Prices start at 100€ and some companies include sport-luggage for free.
- Transport: public transport is reliable. The buses are new and comfortable. The national road infrastructure is super good and for free. The highway you pay and it is almost the same in time. To rent a car from the airport could also be an option if you are not arriving on your own from your home destination.
- Accommodations: we can help in Gokceada; for a round-trip inside the country you can trust “booking”® & “AirBnb”®. The sea-cost is famous for all the all-inclusive offers from hotels. There are a lot of choices and it depends on your budget.
- Cash: there are ATM-cash machines everywhere. There are a lot of banks in Turkey. Also to pay with card is possible in all stores and restaurants – you are covered.
- The cost of living is low as in not expensive for European tourists since the devaluation of the Turkish-lira in 2018.
- It is safe! People are friendly and warm welcome.
NB! Dear Adventure-seekers, if we missed something, please ask us about it. We are reachable online everywhere. We would love to share the information and help!
Please do contact us with more questions. Even better, come join us on a kite camp, we would love to show you around. This is the best place to go kite and we hope you’ll love it at least half as we do!